Message from Doug… Life Is Like Boxing



In 1955 Carmen Basilio knocked out Tony DeMarco in the 12th round to win the World Welterweight Championship.  The victory was a highlight of Basilio’s career, forever earning him a spot in the memories of fight fans around the country. 

Many fight aficionados consider their bout to be one of the best ever.  It was the golden age of boxing.

The fight between the two boxers was immortalized by a perfectly timed photograph of DeMarco lying on the canvas, attended by his corner men, while Basilio is lofted victoriously into the air by his handlers.  It is the perfect contrast of victory and defeat.

In 1990 Basilio’s hometown of Canastota, New York became the site of the International Boxing Hall of Fame. 

For many years a good friend and I would make the pilgrimage to Canastota for the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Weekend.  During the event fans can meet and chat with boxing’s best fighters from the past and present.

I met Basilio during one of these events and he signed an enlarged, authentic print of that iconic photo of his fight.  I framed the print and it hangs in my office directly in front of my desk.  Over the years I’ve often studied that photo and wondered which of those two people – the victor or the defeated – I was at that particular moment. 


“I’ve often studied that photo and wondered which of those two people – the victor or the defeated – I was at that particular moment.“

During the Great Recession and other difficult times in my life, I’ve felt like DeMarco, the defeated.  Personally, I went through a divorce this year and spent a lot of time on the canvas.  At other times, such as when we’ve picked up a new client, or a new project emerged at just the right time, I’ve felt like the triumphant Basilio, victorious over the challenge.

The one thing I’ve learned is that both emotions are alternately experienced, and neither is permanent.  Life and business will expose you to vicious body shots as well as cheers from the crowd.  I think the secret to getting through it all is maximizing and appreciating the times you are on top, then pushing onward during the lows and reminding yourself that you’ll get up to fight again.

I hope you’ve been the person hoisted in the air more times this year than what you’ve been on the canvas.  Whichever position you find yourself in, remember the words of Mike Ditka: “Success is never permanent, and failure is never final.”

As we spend time with family and friends during this Holiday Season, let’s set our sights on 2014 being a Championship year-both personally and professionally.

Happy Holidays,